Expandable garden hoses are incredible products that prevent kinks and snags by expanding and retracting on their own. You don’t have to roll them up by hand since they do all the expanding and shrinking by themselves. They can expand to as much as three times their original size, which allows them to get quite long and be very versatile. It also allows them to be incredible space savers. They can even drain themselves of water, unlike common garden hoses which need to be drained out manually many times, particularly in the winter when the water can freeze up and solidify in the hose.
What to Consider Before Buying
When buying an expandable garden hose, you want to be careful about your purchase. These can be quite an investment, and you want to be sure you are choosing the best one for your needs and one that is offering decent value. Here are a few things to consider before you buy:
- Look for quality– Unlike regular hoses, you can’t easily patch up an expandable garden hose. That’s why it is important to choose a high quality expanding hose that is unlikely to burst or wear down after a short period of time. If it does burst, then you will have to get a new one.
- Consider your budget- You don’t want to go for the most expensive hose, necessarily. That high price tag does not always mean that you are getting the best quality of hose. It’s more important to read reviews and find out what customers have to say about the hose and take into account the reputation of the manufacturer. You should have a set budget for the hose you want to get and then stick to that as you search for the right one.
- Check the size- Your hose needs to be long enough to stretch from the faucet to wherever you have to use it, so measure the distance of your work area and find the most appropriate hose for the tasks you have to do.
- Look for brass fittings- With brass fittings, there is less chance that the hose will be damaged as you are working with it and it should last longer.
- Nozzle settings– The expandable hoses that come with nozzles may or may not have several settings for those nozzles. More settings mean that you can spray in different modes, getting the perfect water dispensing effect for your garden.
Top 5 Best Rated Expandable Garden Hoses
We want to show you the very best in expandable garden hoses. These are our top picks based on price, value and durability.
FlexiHose Upgraded Expandable 50 FT Garden Hose
This is one of the best expanding hoses on the market. It comes fully featured, offering unparalleled durability and ease of use. It is made from high quality materials and is designed to last for your lifetime. In fact, it is backed by a lifetime replacement warranty from the manufacturer, so if you ever have any problems with it, such as leaks or excessive wear, then you can have it replaced for free.
Like all expandable hoses, it stores easily and takes up far less space once the water is drained out of it. It self-drains and self-expands, providing convenience that is far above what you get with a typical garden hose. The one problem this hose has is the connection nozzle. Some people will have trouble connecting the hose to their outside water pipe, and the water may leak out of there and create a mess or simply be annoying.
- Incredibly durable
- Very easy to use
- Great value for the price
- Connection nozzle does not connect very well sometimes
GenLed Expandable Garden Hose
This 75-foot hose expands quickly and easily and comes with its own on/off valve. That ensures that you have control over the pressure and the size of the hose. It has a latex core that makes it very durable, and the fittings are designed to last for a very long time. It comes with a 12-month warranty, so the manufacturers do stand behind their product, but it is not as long lasting or as guaranteed as the FlexiHose we just covered.
It is priced cheaper than a lot of the competition, and that cheaper price seems to be due to slightly lower quality materials. It will generally work well for a long time for you, but in some cases, the hose will start to leak or burst, and you will have to hope it is still covered by the warranty at that point.
- Priced affordably
- Covered by warranty for 12 months
- Known to leak after just a few uses, in some cases
KLAREN Expandable Garden Hose
This hose is only 25 feet long, but that can be a good thing if you want it to work well every time. You see, the longer your hose is, the less likely it is to allow water pressure to fill it up and expand it rapidly. This smaller hose may be perfect for your needs, and if so, then you can count on it to expand and drain quickly and efficiently each time for a long time to come.
Because it is a smaller hose, you won’t pay much for it, so if you are looking for an expandable hose on a budget, then this may be perfect for you. It is designed to be durable and free of leaks, but leaks can happen over time. The smaller hoses tend to be built with less durable materials than the longer ones are, and at this budget price, you can’t expect it to last you for years. It’s good for the price, but you need to realize that you are getting what you pay for.
- Very affordable
- Expands rapidly
- Very reliable
- Not as strong as some of the other choices
TruTec New Design Expandable Garden hose
Here is a more heavy-duty option that will cost a bit more, but it should last you longer as well. It’s up to you to decide how much you want to budget for a garden hose, but just know that the expanding ones will be more expensive than regular hoses due to the extra functionality they offer.
This is a 50-foot hose, which makes it large enough for most outdoor and garden jobs. It’s not so long, however, that losing pressure should be a problem for it. It comes with solid brass fittings and a stainless-steel hose holder, so you know that much manufacturing effort was put into great quality parts that are designed to last for a long time. This is also a lightweight hose that is easy to carry around, making it a great choice for seniors and those with health issues to use outside on their own. The downside to this one is that the latex used on the inside to help it expand and drain back out is not always very strong, and high-water pressure can cause it to burst.
- Solid construction with quality parts
- Interior latex is not very strong
HBlife 50 ft Expandable Lawn Garden
What makes this expandable hose stand out is its fully featured spay nozzle. It has eight different settings to allow you to get the perfect spray for every task. This is a 50-foot hose made from fairly durable materials, but like most expandable hoses, it has a latex core.
That can be problematic since you need to have a lot of pressure flowing through the hose to get it to expand properly, but the latex may not be able to stand up to the pressure very well over extended periods of time. It comes with only a 30-day money back guarantee, and that should be a warning for those who are looking for a long-term investment. This is a great hose for the price, but if you want something to last a long time, you should probably look elsewhere.
- Offers lots of nozzle settings
- Warranty only covers the product for 30 days
- Not designed to last a long time
You will need to determine if you want to spend more and get a good quality expandable garden hose that will last you or if you just need something cheap for a few months that can do the work and fit your budget. This can be a long-term investment or just a quick fix. Whichever the case, we have offered you a few options that fall into those two categories. Remember that the best hose will be the one that will suit your needs best.