When you want to drill precise holes into wood or metal, you need to use precision tools. This is especially important for construction sites and other work areas where a lot of drilling often takes place. That’s where drill presses come in, and benchtop drill presses can be set up just about anywhere, making them ideal for a large variety of worksites. Nothing is more precise than a drill press, but even then, you need to know how to find the most suitable one and one that offers you decent value for your money.
What to Consider Before Buying a Benchtop Drill Press
You need to be careful about which drill you buy. These can get pretty expensive, and you need to be aware of how drill presses differ from one another and how some are going to be more suitable for you. Here are some things to keep in mind as you try to find the right one for your needs:
- Usage- Your drill press can be used for all sorts of things, and you want to be sure that you are getting the most out of it. Know what it is you want to do with that press, and then find a product that can manage those tasks. Not all of them will be as versatile as you would like. You can use some presses for milling work, for sanding, for just drilling a hole and more.
- Price- You might be on a tight budget as you try to find the right drill press for your hobby, for home use or for a worksite. But you still need to be willing to consider some of the more expensive options just because they often provide you with better quality components that will last longer than the cheap ones.
- Workload- Are you going to be using this in your spare time to drill some holes for home improvement projects? Or will you be installing a drill press at a construction site to be used with heavy-duty work projects all day long? You are dealing with two very different situations and workloads, and you need a drill to match. There is no point in buying a very expensive drill for home use, but if you are buying one for a worksite, then you probably want something that can last for years.
- Durability- You have to consider your investment. Just because a drill is expensive, it is not guaranteed to last a long time. Look at the reviews, the warranty and the customer testimonials about the products to ensure that what you are getting will last long enough to make your investment worthwhile.
- Size- The drill press needs to be large enough to accommodate the work you are going to do. It needs to be able to drill holes deep enough and fit anything you need to place into it. Consider the capabilities of the drill press before you spend your hard-earned money.
Product Reviews: Top 10 Best Rated Benchtop Drill Presses
Now that we have given you some tips to help you choose the right drill press, we want to show you some of the best benchtop drill presses on the market today. Just note that even though these are our top picks, your needs could differ from what these drills have to offer. You have to choose your own drill that works best for you.
DEWALT DWE1622K 2-Speed Magnetic Drill Press
The company’s reputation as a manufacturer of fine tools is unmatched, and you know you are getting a good quality machine from DeWalt. The 10-amp motor comes with two speed settings, and the electronic components are fitted with an overload prevention mechanism that protects the machine when in extended use. It may shut down on you to prevent overload, but if you simply restart it, it should work fine. This doesn’t mean that the machine can’t perform tough jobs over long periods of time. It simply means that there is no risk of overloading just because you are working with it for a long time.
- Prevents overloading.
- High quality design.
- There have been reports of some parts becoming loose and wobbly.
WEN 4214 12-Inch Variable Speed Drill Press
Parts of this drill press are made from cast iron, and it is designed to be completely adjustable, so it’s both durable and convenient to use. The motor can produce a lot of power, and it has adjustable speeds to ensure accurate drilling and drilling through multiple types of materials. You can see how quickly the drill is moving by checking the included LED display. The biggest downside to this drill press, though, is that the drive shaft can become wobbly as the motor is working hard to move the drill.
- Nice range of speed.
- Convenient LED display.
- Powerful drilling motor.
- Can be noisy.
- Drive shaft may become wobbly.
SKIL 3320-01 3.2 Amp 10-Inch Drill Press
This SKIL drill press will give you five speeds to work with and features that let you drill accurate, repetitive holes. The work surface tilts to suit your needs and permits angled drilling, and the included low-power laser beam ensures that you get accurate holes each and every time. This comes with a limited 3-year warranty that is going to cover most parts, so you should be able to use it for a long time to come.
- Great for precise drilling.
- Includes a repetitive drilling feature.
- Protected by a three-year warranty.
- Priced very affordably.
- Not all parts covered by warranty.
- Some flimsy components.
SHOP FOX W1670 1/2-Horsepower Floor Radial Drill Press
Here is a drill with some serious power. This Shop Fox press has an incredible motor that produces precise holes through a variety of different materials. It offers five different speeds and a tilting table so that you can work the way you want to. It can easily handle pieces up to 34 inches in diameter, making it ideal for most woodworking and metalworking jobs. You can adjust the height and rotation of the table to put it exactly where you need it for maximum comfort and effectiveness, and the drill comes with a repetitive drilling feature that lets you drill at precisely the same depth every time. There have been some complaints of this tool having a low-quality base, but for the most part – customers do love this drill press.
- Lots of features.
- Can handle a large variety of tasks.
- Customizable height and angle.
- Kind of pricey for what it offers.
- Low quality base.
Craftsman 10 in Bench Drill Press w/ Laser Trac
This drill by Craftsman gives you five speeds as well, and it comes with laser tracking for more accurate drilling. The Craftsman guarantee means that it will last you a long time or you can have it replaced if it starts to have problems. This is a fairly lightweight drill, comparatively speaking. It can be moved around pretty easily since it weighs just over 60 pounds.
- Reliable and precise drilling.
- Should last for a long time.
- Lightweight design.
- Not suitable for heavy duty work.
SHOP FOX W1669 1/2-Horsepower Benchtop Radial Drill Press
With this five-speed press drill, you can handle surfaces of up to 34 inches in diameter and drill at any angle that you like. The table can swivel to suit your needs, even if you want to drill angled holes. You can adjust the height of the table easily and change the speed without having to change any belts. All those factors work together to make this a very user-friendly drill press and one that should be a joy to operate.
The price is about the midrange for benchtop press drills, and you can expect the level of quality and durability to be at about that midrange as well. It can last you for a few years if you use it only occasionally for light work. If you are going to use it in an industrial setting and on a regular basis, however, that may be a different story. Your performance and longevity with this drill will vary based on a number of different factors, but it is a decent drill for the price.
- Priced reasonably.
- Very simple to use.
- Offers multiple speeds to work with.
- Not as long lasting as some of the other drills on this list.
Small Benchtop Drill Press | DRL-300.00
Here is another very affordable drill press that has a decent number of features and is definitely a good value for its price. It comes with a 1-year warranty and can go up to 8,500 RPMs. Its very compact compared to a lot of the other drills on this list, making it a great space saver. It’s also lighter than most of them, weighing in at about 12 pounds.
- Very powerful.
- Some complaints of some parts that feel cheapl.
Coming in slightly in the high end of the price scale, this drill press from Jet is compact and has a tilting table. Parts are made from cast iron, so it is definitely built with longevity in mind, but not all the parts are equally durable. It comes with a two-year warranty and weighs a massive 157 pounds. It may not be something you can put onto your benchtop, but it is more compact than similar models. The Jet drill is great at punching holes in metal and wood quickly, but you do want to be careful about how fast you do that. Moving too quickly and disregarding safety rules can make for some unpleasant results, so when a manufacturer boasts that their drill works super-fast, you need to realize that a sensible person will operate at a much slower pace, just to be on the safe side.
- Comes with a two-year warranty.
- Smaller than most similar drills.
- Has some high-quality components.
SE 97511MDP 3-Speed Mini Drill Press Bench
This is another drill for the budget minded. It’s priced under $100 and offers three speeds for you to work with. The drill press includes three wrenches and a chuck key, and the drill press is designed with precision drilling in mind. It’s great for light, delicate work, and this compact 2-pound benchtop drill can sit easily and comfortably on your counter.
- Compact and lightweight.
- Great price.
- Only made for light work.
If you are concerned about a bench drill press working differently compared to other drill presses you may be used to, then you don’t need to worry. These kinds of tools work pretty much the same way, except for where they are mounted. Once you have a mounting table for your press, you are good to go. We hope our guide for the best benchtop drill presses is helpful for you as you try to make an informed purchasing decision. Whichever product you decide to get, just remember to factor in your needs, so that you don’t get something that either won’t get the job done or will be an overshoot in regards to the task at hand.